Announcements and Important Events
Freedom Eagles Athletes and Parents, 4/29/2020
We hope that everyone is staying healthy during this very difficult time. This has certainly been a trying month or so and please know how badly we miss seeing all of our student athletes competing this spring. We are all disappointed for how this school year and spring sports season has ended for everyone, particularly our seniors.
We are hoping to address a lot of the frequently asked questions we’ve been receiving these last few weeks. Please understand that we still don’t have the answers to all your questions, but we will let you know as soon as more information becomes available.
1. STATUS OF SPRING SPORTS: The latest official VHSL statement is included at the end of this message. In short, there will not be any spring post-season championships. Perhaps the VHSL will allow a few weeks of practices or games late in the season in compliance with state and local government permission. Obviously the longer this COVID-19 epidemic continues, the tougher it will be for the VHSL to allow anything.
2. SENIOR SCHOLARSHIP: The Freedom Eagle Athletic Booster Club is again sponsoring scholarships to senior athletes who are attending college next year. The scholarship application is posted on freedomeaglesathletics.org under “Booster” and will be posted on the school counseling webpage on Freedom’s school website.
3. SPRING SPORTS SENIOR NIGHTS: Freedom’s spring teams and the athletic department are collecting senior information to prepare senior recognition on our social media platforms. Spring sports seniors should be receiving information from their Coaches about the information needed. Please send that information to your head coach ASAP, as we’ll begin honoring our spring sports seniors in late April/ early May. Please follow our social media accounts for recognition.
4. SENIORS PARTICIPATING IN COLLEGE SPORTS: We had planned on a celebration ceremony for all seniors competing in athletics at the next level. We will honor our seniors of May 20th. Again, your Coaches will be asking you for information needed.
5. SPRING SPORTS TEAM PICTURES: Our photography company, Victor O'Neill, has been in contact with us. They will be getting us the information about how the photographs will be distributed. We are still waiting to get information for them.
7. SPRING SPORTS ATHLETIC FEE REIMBURSEMENT: LCPS will be reimbursing the $150 athletic fee. We are awaiting the exact process and timeline for the reimbursements to each of you. With the large number of spring athletes, those reimbursements may take some time. Again, we will communicate the exact process and timeline when it becomes available.
Update- Spring Parents, the $150 spring athletic fees have been reimbursed to the same credit card you used to pay. Will show up as "OSMS" on your statement. May take 60 days to show on your card, as reimbursement has multiple steps. Contact school if no reimbursement in 60 days.
8. PICK-UP OF EQUIPMENT/GEAR FROM YOUR ATHLETIC LOCKERS: At this time, no one is permitted in the building to retrieve items from athletic lockers. We’ll let you know if/when that changes.
9. UNIFORM RETURN/EQUIPMENT RETURN: Many of our spring athletes have team uniforms and/or school-issued equipment. Although we cannot collect any of those items now, we will at some point need to collect everything. Information will be sent out later this spring as plans are formulated. Please keep those team uniforms and school equipment secure for future return.
10. ALL FREEDOM ATHLETIC FIELDS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC--Per LCPS, the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office, and local/state ordinances—all school athletic facilities remain closed to the public. Specific to Freedom, this includes the grass practice fields, and obviously the locked facilities—tennis courts, turf practice field, dog pound, and stadium. These ordinances have obviously been put in place for the safety and health of everyone in the community. We understand that LCPS Safety and Security and the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office have been increasing enforcement of this ordinance. We certainly look forward to the day when we can open, and the community can enjoy our facilities again.
Thank you again for your patience and continued support. We will continue to provide information as it becomes available to us. Stay healthy!
Freedom HS Athletic Director